University Research Committee (URC)
Faculty Fellow Awards
Purpose of Program
The Faculty Fellow Awards are available to tenure track faculty in all disciplines to provide a semester of release time on full salary for scholarly pursuits of research or creative projects. Release time can be taken no earlier than fall semester of the next academic year and must be taken within 2 years from the date of the award. Faculty who have held a regular University of Utah faculty appointment for one year or more are eligible to apply.
Pursuing commercial projects, curriculum development, and faculty or career development (e.g. taking courses, attending professional meetings, etc.) may not be the primary feature of the proposal.
The URC awards the sum of $7,500 to the department to defer the cost of the awardee’s release time. Applicants may also apply for a Faculty Research or Creative Grant to carry out their research/creative agenda during their release time.
Major considerations in evaluating proposals are:
- Soundness and significance of the proposal.
- The proposal’s potential benefit to the individual, the University, and the community.
- The chair’s and dean’s evaluation and priorities in regard to released time.
The application consists of the following:
- Part A completed by applicant.
- Part B completed by department chair and college dean.
- List of all academic leaves with description and function.
- Curriculum vita or biographical sketch, whichever is shorter.
- Precise statement of what you intend to accomplish during the award period. The statement must be limited to three single-spaced typed pages.
- A one-page single-spaced abstract.
Applications are due in the applicant’s departmental office by October 2 and must be submitted in PDF format. Department chairs must forward the PDF applications to their dean by October 16. Deans must forward the PDF applications to the Vice President for Research Office to VPRgrants@utah.edu by 5:00 p.m., October 23. Notification of the award will be made in January.
If the PI is awarded a grant, they cannot reapply for a Faculty Fellow Award for the next five years.
There will be no more than two awards from any given department.
Final Reports (NOT online)
The recipient of a Faculty Fellow Award must submit a 1-2 page, single-spaced, Final Report (with cover sheet - PDF) within one year after receiving the award. The following information should be included in the final report:
- What activities did you do with this grant?
- What did you accomplish, discover, or create?
- What kind of impact did this grant have on you (or your students, postodcs, colleagues, others, etc..)?
The committee will not consider a new application from an investigator until a final report from the previously awarded URC grant is submitted.
Please submit your final reports to email@example.com.
Contact Whitney Reid, the Project Coordinator for the VPR Office, at (801) 581-7237.
If Whitney is out of the office, please contact Joanne Yaffe (801-581-4829), Chair of the URC Committee.